The Don Weidman Computer Learning Center,
“Homebound Remote Learning Project” and E. Yaphank Center
790 Park Avenue- Huntington, NY 11743
1490 Wm. Floyd Parkway, E. Yaphank, NY 11980
(631) 427-3700 x 268/235
Grand Opening of SeniorNet at FSL, L.I. East Yaphank Annex
On Thursday, March 25, 2010, SeniorNet proudly celebrated the grand opening of its new computer-training annex at the Family Service League East Yaphank building complete with refreshments and ribbon cutting ceremony. Rooms and hallways were crowded with happy smiling guests that included Town of Brookhaven dignitaries and elected officials, Family Service League Board members, administration and staff, SeniorNet members, volunteers and various SeniorNet supporters.
The group was treated to short and often humorous congratulatory speeches many of which provided insights onto the complex issues involved in opening this annex.
- * Slava Vero, Co-coordinator, who first championed the idea and became the driving force behind the project, provided some background and thanked everyone involved for his or her hard work.
* Karen Boorshtein, FSL President and Chief Executive Officer, welcomed the guests and described how SeniorNet has been such a good match with FSL.
* Kate Browning, Legislator Suffolk County 3rd District addressed the group and presented a Welcoming Certificate of Congratulations.
*Patricia Eddington, Brookhaven Town Clerk presented a Congratulatory Ribbon Breaking Certificate
Dominique Salice, Senior Aide to State Senator Brian X. Foley presented a Grand Opening Recognition Certificate
* Bilal Malik, Senior Aide to Congressman Tim Bishop of New York’s 1st District congratulated the group.
* 1st District Assemblyman Marc Allessi was represented by Jenn Maldonado who presented a Certificate of Appreciation.
* 4th District Legislator Thomas Muratore was represented by his senior aide Jessica Proios who presented a congratulatory certificate.
* Holly Rhodes-Teague, Director of the Office of Aging, thanked SeniorNet for opening this much needed facility
Barbara Page, FSL Board Chairwoman congratulated the group for their amazing achievement.
* Sheila Alger and Michele Williams from SeniorNet Headquarters mentioned how important SeniorNet at FSL, L.I. was to the whole SeniorNet organization.
* Jean Tesoriero, from the nationalgrid Foundation, described the computer-refurbishing program it has partnered with SeniorNet “elves” over the past 10 years.
* Eena May Franz, President of the Brookhaven National Laboratory Retired Association congratulated the group’s achievement.
* Bill Baker, Co-coordinator elect, described how Huntington volunteers supported the startup with instructors and coaches driving long distances until local volunteers were recruited.
* Jim Burke, who set up the new lab with his “lab rats,” provided insights into the amount of work involved to obtain and install the hardware. He described what his lab rats do to keep both the Yaphank and Huntington labs running smoothly.
We would also like to express our appreciation to Robyn Berger-Gaston, FSL’s Division Director for her help and continuous support as FSL liaison to the Yaphank Annex.
Last but not least, our appreciation goes to all SeniorNet volunteers (Huntington and Yaphank); their hard work and dedication keeps our Learning Center as one of the top Learning centers in the country. You make us proud.
With the speeches over the chatty group slowly made its way to the computer lab where they all crowded inside for pictures and ribbon cutting ceremony.
(Pictures provided by award winning photographer and SeniorNet volunteer Sam Gerber)